Monday, February 14, 2011

Today is the day....

It's Valentine's Day. And here's how I feel about it....

I don't think my opinion of this day has ever really changed. When I was single and naive and crushin' on the same guy for, like, 5 years I thought Valentine's Day was pretty cool. But I didn't raise my expectations higher than I knew the guy would go. So, I was never disappointed when, on that fateful day each year for 5 years, he didn't even look at me long enough for me to pretend he was "saying something" with his eyes.
And then when I was in a relationship I didn't really see the point in putting pressure on my boyfriend to go all fancy and lovey-dovey on me. We made dinner together, ate dessert in our underwear and watched Cool Runnings (the most magical moment of the night: when he cried at the end of the movie). And now that I'm single again I'm just happy that the people who are in a relationship are able to spent it with the girl or guy they're dating.

Tonight, I have a midterm to write. But I'm not bitter that I have to do it on Valentine's Day. I'm just bitter because midterms suck and I have to miss speed dating with all my friends.

But, honestly, folks: Valentine's Day is nice. It's not for everyone and you don't have to buy into any of the corporate nonsense but if you love your room mates or your friends or your parents a little bit more today that's OK. Your love won't be any less real just because you're admitting to it with a box of chocolate or a cute homemade card.
We should all, always, try and be like Ralphie.
True innocence at its best.

Peace and Love, everyone.
xoxoxooxoxox
-Beck

1 comment:

  1. best way to sum up valentines day.. to me honestly i just see it as one big business, and is wayy too overrated. i think just spending time with the people you love is enough. but i <3 you and hope you have a succcessful midterm my love!! HAHAHA oh ralphie, one of my favourite episodes!

    ReplyDelete