Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Predictability or Fate?

This is my room mate Sam and he is, above all else, one of the most predictable guys I know. His one endearing quality is that we (his room mates) always know exactly what he's doing or going to be doing later on. I would never consider this a flaw because he obviously understands the importance of routine. You know, I could be one rich lady if only Chotchy had let me start betting money on the things Sam does or says. Actually, if we each threw $2 into a jar every time Sam's said "that's what she said" or "I think I'm just going to order pizza and watch a movie" we could easily fund our alcoholism and drug addiction for really no cost at all! But it's just a little quirk of his 
(along with making those damn lists) and that just makes him special. That, and he makes us laugh. 

However, to avoid inflating his ego too much I'm going to switch gears a little and ask you this: if Sam is so predictable what the hell do you call it when someone gets the SAME mark in everything they do, no matter what effort they put into it? I mean it has to be beyond predictable, now, that every time I do anything in school I get the same grade. In fact, I think it's gone beyond predictability and entered into the realm of joke-hood. It really doesn't matter if I study hard or throw pizza at the basement walls of my old residence because I will wind up with the usual 70-75. I'm not complaining, just kind of curious whether the 70s are just where I'm meant to be.

Oh my god. That's it! For all we know the marks we get in school reflect the era in human history that we're supposed to be in! I believe it (even if it is my own theory). If you consider that I like marijuana but no other drugs, if you consider that Bob Marley and Simon and Garfunkel are my all time favourite artists than you'd probably realize that I should be this age in 1970-something. 

And I think that's reflective of everyone. Maybe not exclusively but in most cases. If you think about it,people who get higher marks are generally people who are more focused on improving the world and adding their research to their specific field. But people who get lower grades are happier living at a slower pace and, in some cases, in the past. I genuinely believe that the way I behave is reflective of what era I was meant to be in.


If you disagree....well, you're entitled to that opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment