Monday, April 4, 2011

A rant about Lost

In all honesty who makes a show about smoke monsters and inexplicable polar bear populations and actually expects to get popular!?
OK, obviously the creators of Lost but what I'm asking is that you really look at what Lost is about and then think again why it was such a good show. Oh sure, because there was tension and suspense and a lot of crazy shit going on but.....smoke monsters and polar bears on a jungle island? With no explanation other than

 
"the island is a wonderful place"

I live in a wonderful place. I call it Canada and we have polar bears because we're 5 minutes away from the Arctic!

Television doesn't make sense to me. If I think about it for too long I realize that TV shows are just about a group of total strangers running around together, solving mysteries or doing autopsies on pretend dead people. Yet I love Lost. I could watch it every day, 5 episodes.

Wait, I do watch it every day, 6 episodes when I'm really in the zone. But it's totally dumb.

Especially because no one ever bothered to explain what that big black horse was all about or how the fuck Walt mind-ninja'd that bird into smacking into that window. I mean, some stuff was explained. Like the "Others" just being Darma people or the electro-magnetism that made the plane crash in the first place. But other shit, other crazy ass stuff like that shark with a Darma tattoo or the really tall four-toed foot....what's up with that? Why was that never talked about again? That foot showed up, like, a bunch of other times and no one bothered to be all like "Hey, so....what's up with that?" That's the first thing I'd do....I would not even let the "Others" talk until someone explained the damn foot. But Jin just sat there and gave Sun a funny look, like "Yo, what's up with that?" but when everyone was sitting around in the damn thing's shadow Locke never said anything....Locke, the guy who always asked questions!

God, I know it's probably because the writers were in too deep and were trying to keep all the blood in their heads, instead of going under but I'm an unsatisfied audience member! I cried a lot throughout the series because shit was sad and I got scared for people when other people had that crazy look in their eyes but I waited, episode after episode, week after week, for someone to say "The polar bears were all just a figment of your imagination. In fact, this has all just been a dream within a dream! Incepted!"

Anyway, Lost is awesome. Just keep in mind that it really made absolutely no sense.

PS: I've been struggling for the last hour to make a vlog within a blog.....epic fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment