Monday, July 25, 2011

It's much easier....

Over the years I've come to realize that I know more about hiding stuff from people than I do about sharing it. There are ____ reasons for this:

1. Superstition: If I tell someone about something that I like or want I run the risk of jinxing it altogether. So rather than tell my parents/friends about a passion of mine (or an action I plan on taking based on that passion) I keep it to myself until the day I'm doing or have done it.

2. Fear of judgement: Wanting a tattoo or being in a noncommittal "relationship" with someone are not things that most parents (specifically) and some friends want to hear so it's much easier to act under the radar. Whatever happens, with that tattoo or the person, happens but at least I've avoided that look. You know the one.

3. Predictable reactions: I could be a rich woman if only I'd bet $100 for every time I knew exactly what a person was going to do or say in reaction to my actions. Why not avoid admitting that you've done something so you can get past the whole "I knew you were going to say/do that!" thing.

Every once in a while I'll tell people something that I would normally have kept to myself but for the most I like living on my own terms.

Zain, I hope you don't think I'm taking 
your Cyanide and Happiness idea....
I just thought it kind of fit with the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment