Friday, June 24, 2011

Definitions

Ever defined the word 'definitions'?


definitionsplural of def·i·ni·tion (Noun)

1. A statement of the exact meaning of a word, esp. in a dictionary.
2. An exact statement or description of the nature, scope, or meaning of something.

I have.


Next question: Ever defined a relationship?



I have.


But I'm seeing the light....

In the first episode of How I Met Your Mother, Season 5, Barney and Robin are forced to 'define their relationship', while locked in a bedroom, knowing only that they like each other and that they're happy.

Their friend Lily pressures them to, basically, 'make an exact statement or description of the nature, scope, or meaning' of their new romance....something that is quite honestly IMPOSSIBLE to do.

Think about the implications of giving an EXACT statement or description of the meaning of something...think about what that would mean to humanity if we all knew exactly what we wanted, now and in the future.

Because that's basically what 'defining' a relationship is all about, right? It's all about taking that next step with that person and finding out what exactly is happening.

But my question is: how can you possibly know? 

Obviously this is a revelation that's affected a lot of people a lot of times before me but I find it oddly exhilarating that I know something different...

I'm used to a very status quo approach to relationships but wherever the 'thing' I'm in now goes doesn't matter to me because I'm open to the possibilities.

Freedom, baby! It feels gooooooood!




No comments:

Post a Comment